Tenafly Public Schools
2013-2014 School Budget
Lynn Trager, Superintendent of Schools
As superintendent of Tenafly Public Schools, I am proud to present the 2013-2014 school budget. Although this budget is for the upcoming school year, it really reflects the work that we have done over the last several years and continues a plan for the next few years to address class size and improve our infrastructure. We have been successful in implementing three priorities over the last several years: increasing revenue, decreasing expenses and increasing shared services agreements.
This success has enabled us to provide the means to create educational opportunities for our students to give them the necessary tools to help them become successful contributors in the 21st Century. In the end this is a budget that balances the needs of our students and provides them with a progressive educational program within a fiscally responsible budget.
The 2013-2014 budget will:
- Provide more authentic learning experiences for seniors at THS
- Implement courses and electives with an emphasis on 21st Century skills
- Continue to keep class size low
- Move from a house model back to a team model at 8th grade
- Focus on phonics and vocabulary at the elementary level and non-fiction reading and writing across the district
- Continue to expand opportunities for increased revenues through shared services, rentals, advertisements, donations and in-house special education programs
- Fully implement the new teacher and principal evaluation models
- Expand current Pre-K Autism class to K-2 (to be housed at Smith)
- Expand student opportunities to participate in courses of higher rigor
- Institute a girls freshman soccer team (based on interest and enrollment)
- Expand 4-year proactive plan to upgrade technology infrastructure, programs and facilities — [Stillman, Mackay, THS roofs (Summer 2013) and Smith roof (June 2014)], along with solar energy
- Continue safety upgrades – speaker system in elementary schools
- Enhance computer replacement and expansion
- Fully implement the new state mandated Teacher and Principal Evaluation model
I am also proud that the Tenafly students have continued our strong history of success as exemplified by the following:
- THS ranked 3rd in New Jersey
- TPS students ranked at the top in NJ ASK tests scores
- 43% increase in student participation taking AP tests over the last 3 years with 90% obtaining a score of 3 or higher
- Outstanding college acceptances
- Awards and acknowledgements in the area of Fine and Performing Arts
This budget continues and expands the tradition of excellence in the Tenafly Public Schools while remaining sensitive to the needs of the taxpayer.
Thank you for your continued support of our students.